Sunday, December 14, 2008

celebrity overnight

So I got compared to Michael Phelps again the other day.

By "again" I mean that this happens every so often. I mentioned before that I work a "part-time" (39 hours a week instead of 40?) job at a grocery store, frequently as a cashier. Yes, I know, it's as exciting as you might think...applications are available at the customer service desk.

Anyway, obviously means I have to interact with the customers and keep them entertained while I'm scanning items. Sometimes they're pretty quiet and the conversation goes nowhere. Others, they're enthusiastic to answer my boilerplate questions but it really doesn't go beyond that. Some piss me off, haha. But some actually keep me entertained.

This was one of those cases. This particular customer, a woman probably in her 30s or 40s (I'm a terrible judge of age), stops me before I'm even able to say "How are you today?" with "Has anyone ever said you kinda look like Michael Phelps?"

"Well, actually, yeah, that's happened at least a couple of times before."

"I don't know what it is, you just do. Do you swim?"

"No, not really."

(pause)

"Oh, well, thank you, I guess."

I wasn't sure what to think of it at first. I've done some research since then (which was a horrible task of course, haha) and maybe could see what she means. She was probably looking at the smile, nose/ears, eyebrows. Maybe the hair, a little bit. But I'm in no way going to have the problem of people stopping me on the street, yelling "Hey man, where are your gold medals?"

It definitely wasn't the body, which I thought was the part that most people actually find so damn hot about him. So I wasn't sure if it was a compliment...not that I necessarily want middle-aged women to hit on me. But I'll go with it anyway.

Now to work on making me looking like that...right. Should be easy?

(p.s. copyright owners, don't kill me! just ask and I'll remove whatever you want...honest!)

No comments: