Wednesday, January 9, 2008

clean slate

First off, thanks to those of you who wished me a happy new year (same to you!). My New Year's Eve (why does everyone abbreviate it as NYE all of a sudden?) was fun but not extremely out of the ordinary. Since I still like to be sparse on the details of my personal life here, I'll leave it at that.

2007 was, overall, a pretty good year. 2008 will likely be a pretty good year, if everything goes to plan. I'll finally be done with school, which is something I've been looking forward to for years. A lot of people don't want to let go of their life in college, but I was ready to even before I got here. I'm ready to move on and get on with my life. I don't like being in this state of pseudo-flux where I live in two places (home and school) in a year, so it'll be nice to land somewhere for a while. Where and when that will happen is to be determined.

I'm not going to make any sort of resolutions for the year, because I think they're pointless. No offense to those who attempt them, but it's really just a good way to set yourself up for failure. If you don't succeed, then you can just try it again next year (see: diets). I'm not sure what I'd even resolve to do...obviously promising to blog consistently won't work (hasn't yet!), and I wouldn't overreach so far as to say "I resolve to be out this year." Not that I'm against setting and reaching goals, but it seems like most resolutions end up being about improving your character. You shouldn't need an excuse or a timeline to be a better person, you should just do it.

I'm really not usually this bitter, just a little bit tonight, not even for a particular reason.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I see resolutions as a guideline and not a promise for the reason you stated. If I fail to suceed I will think of the year as a failure.

I hope you are doing alright. take care.